Skip to main content

Not where I thought We'd be

Here I am trying to get ready for a week long "vacation" to work at camp. I am thrilled to be spending another week at Celebrate Me (http://www.celebrate-me.com/)! But unfortunately, I had hoped to be celebrating the Dossier (all the paperwork sent to Ethiopia-turning it in puts us officially on the waiting list) as well during this week, but alas, that is not to happen.

We have been tying up the loose ends of all the paperwork for our dossier for the last month or two. As of today, we have everything notarized and ready to go!

Our amazing notary, Sylvia!
She has been SUCH  a blessing to us! Working with us at odd times and never turning us down.
But, and this is a big BUT - we STILL do not have our homestudy! We were told that by the beginning of May, at the latest, we should most likely have the homestudy paperwork in our hands. However, over two months later, we are still IMPATIENTLY twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the paperwork to arrive. Some of you may ask, why is this an issue? - our dossier has to have all documents be within the last six months. Therefore, the fingerprints/background check that we had done in January, the ones we felt we were being so efficient and timely getting done, well those now are about to "expire" according to dossier timelines and if we don't get our dossier in soon we will be looking at another couple hundred dollars and another month to get a new background check - this, would not, not, not, not make me happy.

Moral of story here - for those who are looking into the adoption process, really do your homework on your agencies! I chose our International adoption agency because of so many people giving them high credit for being efficient and timely, and they were right! I always get answers by the end of the day and I adore working with All God's Children International! However, due to them working out of Oregon, we have to use a different agency for our homestudy. Although they have been pleasant people to work with, I am not at all impressed with their efficiency, and I am just overall very frustrated.

So. *BIG BREATH*. We are trying to take this all one day at a time.

I have gathered everything in order and all checks are made out and ready to go, so that if the homestudy does arrive next week, Jon can send it all to our International agency while I am away at camp. Unfortunately, I have this feeling I will still be the one to send it - after camp is over. I don't have very high hopes that our worker will completely follow through in a timely manner, as we have yet to see her do so - but maybe I'll be surprised this week.

Prayers are much appreciated at this time. I know so many of you are praying for us daily, and I can't thank you enough. There are days when I really feel like my prayers just won't be enough, and I think this is one of them. Yes, getting the dossier in won't get us a child any time Really soon, but just being on the waiting list will finally give us the chance to be paired with our children. We need to be on that waiting list!

And now I leave you with some random pictures - we had to put a bunch in our dossier documents to send to Ethiopia, so I thought some of you would enjoy them...

   
                                       Two Family Photos



Front & Back views of our home


 Indoor pictures: Dining room/Living room

 Indoor pictures: Kid bedroom & Kitchen

 Individual Parent Photos

Photo of the Parents together... Taken by Caleb!!!


And last, just to end my night with a smile... this picture was not put into the dossier, but Caleb wanted his picture on the rock outside of Sylvia's office, and he wanted to hold his "minion" (from the movie Despicable Me). 
Love this picture!



 Good night all! I'm now off to do a little camp clothes packing before hitting the bed!

In Christ,
Mara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence is easiest

Life. Holy Toledo. Life has been, well, not sure if crazy really covers it at this point, but I'll go with that - Life has been crazy. I've been silent for awhile. There are the obvious reasons for the silence - A. I rarely have time to sit B. I'm exhausted C. Not a lot of time spent on me lately D. There are things I legally cannot write about to keep our kiddos safe But there are other reasons I've been silent. Silence is easy -  with silence, you don't have to answer the questions that haunt you. I think this silence comes from not knowing exactly what to say. The silence comes from this feeling of such overwhelming desire to have answers and knowledge of the unknown, that speaking outwardly of that unknown is - well - it's scary. About a month into our journey of welcoming four more children into our home, I read this article The Silence of Adoption    and I understood everything this woman was saying. Her words struck a chord. It was exactly eve...

Love & attachment

As I hug and kiss my son goodnight (for at least the third time, 2 hours past his bedtime!) I can't help but think about my other children. How I long to hold them in my arms, kiss them goodnight, show them how much they are loved, let them know that I will always be their mother. Yesterday Jon and I attended our first education meeting. This was put on by our local agency conducting our homestudy. The focus of this meeting was to talk about what to expect once our children are home. We learned a lot about "triggers" for our children - when life could be more difficult, we also learned more about attachment issues, and we learned/discussed what it will be like for our children to live in a "white privileged" family & neighborhood. Since this education, my mind has been swarming with many different thoughts. Many I'd like to try to convey into my writing, although this may take a few blogs. Tonight, as I work on getting my son to go to bed - and Stay ...

When life is changing

You know that thing when life changes? At first you are excited, everything is going great. You are on top of the world and although life isn't perfect, you know it can't get much better? Then you start realizing the nitty-gritties, the things that are starting to stir at your bellybutton. The small parts to the change that suddenly start feeling so huge. You start to panic. Your stomach starts to not agree with you and you regret this, and that, and this again. And then you calm yourself, take a deep breath, look at the positives around you, and tell yourself "this too shall pass". Until that wave of anxiety passes over you again and you continue the cycle of happy, nervous, anxious, happy, nervous, anxious - over and over again. This is where I'm at right now. Everything seems almost too overwhelming. So many changes, both older changes and new changes, that just aren't settling well. I'm trying so hard to stay positive and ride along with ...