Skip to main content

Mara versus Mom

The last couple months my husband and son were very generous and let me go to be Mara, instead of Mom. My husband likes to say that I like to be a "Thespian" when I can, and yes, I do enjoy becoming a different person, playing dress up, and entertaining people. But the fun antics of other "thespians" are what I really enjoy! A lot of our craziness is something that only theater people can understand, trust me-we are a bunch of odd ducks - but I love that about theater. It's a place to let your inhibitions loose. A place that I don't feel judged. A place I can let my hair down and worry very little about everything else-well, other than remembering my blocking and lines!

The last couple weeks have been performance weekends for "The 39 Steps", and among it all we have been trying to figure out the adoption steps for the little boy in the Philippines. The theater is what has kept my nerves at bay. When I have time to think about all of the logistics, I get nervous. I so badly want to bring this little boy home, but I know we still have a lot of steps to go, and a lot of uncertainty right now as to if we even will be accepted as his forever family. So, instead of freaking out at home, I can use that energy to do scenes like this... where I have to be handcuffed to a man, while trying to climb through a gate..  :)
Or use this crazy energy to play a paranoid spy...
Either way, I can escape my thoughts of uncertainty, escape the dishes at home (thanks Jon for doing soooo many of them the last few weeks!), and escape sleep... oh wait, that is something I'm looking forward to gaining again soon! I swear, adoption won't be the "death" of me...
But it does way heavily on my mind. So I'm thankful for opportunities like this play or chances to sing with the community big band, or time with church. Sometimes it is a very good thing to stay busy. Although, I'm also looking forward to time home again and spending time with my boys. I'm also looking forward to a new dossier (hopefully! as long as the Philippines accepts us) process, which will be a lot of work, but would mean we would be bringing our little boy home soon! 

This play is also kind of bittersweet, as I realized, if we do bring our little boy home next summer, then this could be the last show I do for quite a while. I will want to be home bonding, versus spending long nights away. I will miss having my theater time, but will be much happier at home with TWO little boys.  :)   So, we will see, who knows what is in the future. For today though, I will enjoy the last performance and teardown, and enjoy the joking around that only "thespians" understand, and then I will come back home and be "Mom" full-time again. Not a bad thing at all.




 Thanks to all of those who were able to come see the show! Hope you enjoyed it. And a BIG thank you again to my husband and son who lived without me for a bit. I really do appreciate it. Love you both!

Have a good rest of your Sunday!
In Christ,
Mara/Mom






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence is easiest

Life. Holy Toledo. Life has been, well, not sure if crazy really covers it at this point, but I'll go with that - Life has been crazy. I've been silent for awhile. There are the obvious reasons for the silence - A. I rarely have time to sit B. I'm exhausted C. Not a lot of time spent on me lately D. There are things I legally cannot write about to keep our kiddos safe But there are other reasons I've been silent. Silence is easy -  with silence, you don't have to answer the questions that haunt you. I think this silence comes from not knowing exactly what to say. The silence comes from this feeling of such overwhelming desire to have answers and knowledge of the unknown, that speaking outwardly of that unknown is - well - it's scary. About a month into our journey of welcoming four more children into our home, I read this article The Silence of Adoption    and I understood everything this woman was saying. Her words struck a chord. It was exactly eve...

Love & attachment

As I hug and kiss my son goodnight (for at least the third time, 2 hours past his bedtime!) I can't help but think about my other children. How I long to hold them in my arms, kiss them goodnight, show them how much they are loved, let them know that I will always be their mother. Yesterday Jon and I attended our first education meeting. This was put on by our local agency conducting our homestudy. The focus of this meeting was to talk about what to expect once our children are home. We learned a lot about "triggers" for our children - when life could be more difficult, we also learned more about attachment issues, and we learned/discussed what it will be like for our children to live in a "white privileged" family & neighborhood. Since this education, my mind has been swarming with many different thoughts. Many I'd like to try to convey into my writing, although this may take a few blogs. Tonight, as I work on getting my son to go to bed - and Stay ...

When life is changing

You know that thing when life changes? At first you are excited, everything is going great. You are on top of the world and although life isn't perfect, you know it can't get much better? Then you start realizing the nitty-gritties, the things that are starting to stir at your bellybutton. The small parts to the change that suddenly start feeling so huge. You start to panic. Your stomach starts to not agree with you and you regret this, and that, and this again. And then you calm yourself, take a deep breath, look at the positives around you, and tell yourself "this too shall pass". Until that wave of anxiety passes over you again and you continue the cycle of happy, nervous, anxious, happy, nervous, anxious - over and over again. This is where I'm at right now. Everything seems almost too overwhelming. So many changes, both older changes and new changes, that just aren't settling well. I'm trying so hard to stay positive and ride along with ...