Skip to main content

Davao day 1 - The morning landscape

Good morning Sir. Good morning Ma'am.

We are greeted this way EVERYWHERE we go. At first I thought maybe it was something we would just hear at the hotels from the staff, but not so. This seems to be a typical greeting when wanting to show a sign of respect. We also read an email from a Filipina lady who wrote about people we would meet here and put Sir and Ma'am in front of their names. To me it seems then they have replaced our Mr. & Mrs. with Sir and Ma'am. Love it!

I started going through yesterday's pictures and am overwhelmed by the beauty of the day. We took in so many sights within about 12 hours, ranging from garbage littered waters that children were walking in, to modern houses high on the hill, to natural jungle-like trails, to busy city streets and markets. And it was all beautiful. I am in awe of this land and this life. So completely different from most things I know.

The next few posts will be all from one day, but chopped into groups. This post will just be pictures from our morning drive to a beautiful nature type preserve that is still "in the city of Davao" but is actually an hour from the city. We had an hour of many, many sites.

As you will see, there is not as much wealth as in Manila. We learned that most taxes, and other monies, are directed to Manila. Davao sees VERY little of the money they give to the government. And yet, they seem so much more "relaxed" here and are very happy and devout to their land.

All of these pictures were taken from the car, so most are not in focus, there is no artistic set-ups, but all are trying to show just a small nugget of the sites we took in.

Houses on the water.

How many lanes should there be to drive on?
Looks like about four here. Think it was only supposed to be two.

Police vehicle transporting prisoners.

Ice plant. Maybe they should visit Wisconsin!

Motorcycles enclosed with cabs.

Jon loves seeing all of the Volkswagen beetles.
We have not seen any vans yet - those are his favorite.

Coke truck. These are everywhere!

Local construction.

We have been officially welcomed to Davao!

Houses are made with woven bamboo.
They are quite beautiful.

Many of the roads we drove on were dirt like this.

A lady in her garden



These are banana trees.
The bananas have been wrapped with blue and white bags to help keep bugs and birds off of them.
The papayas and mangoes are all individually wrapped in newspaper.




Corn! Now this is a site we understand!
However, many of the fields used their land in multiple ways.
The lower layer was corn.
Middle layer banana trees.
Top layer was the towering coconut trees.
Very resourceful.
Children's recess time at San Jose's Elementary school.
Did you enjoy our drive?
Mara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence is easiest

Life. Holy Toledo. Life has been, well, not sure if crazy really covers it at this point, but I'll go with that - Life has been crazy. I've been silent for awhile. There are the obvious reasons for the silence - A. I rarely have time to sit B. I'm exhausted C. Not a lot of time spent on me lately D. There are things I legally cannot write about to keep our kiddos safe But there are other reasons I've been silent. Silence is easy -  with silence, you don't have to answer the questions that haunt you. I think this silence comes from not knowing exactly what to say. The silence comes from this feeling of such overwhelming desire to have answers and knowledge of the unknown, that speaking outwardly of that unknown is - well - it's scary. About a month into our journey of welcoming four more children into our home, I read this article The Silence of Adoption    and I understood everything this woman was saying. Her words struck a chord. It was exactly eve...

Love & attachment

As I hug and kiss my son goodnight (for at least the third time, 2 hours past his bedtime!) I can't help but think about my other children. How I long to hold them in my arms, kiss them goodnight, show them how much they are loved, let them know that I will always be their mother. Yesterday Jon and I attended our first education meeting. This was put on by our local agency conducting our homestudy. The focus of this meeting was to talk about what to expect once our children are home. We learned a lot about "triggers" for our children - when life could be more difficult, we also learned more about attachment issues, and we learned/discussed what it will be like for our children to live in a "white privileged" family & neighborhood. Since this education, my mind has been swarming with many different thoughts. Many I'd like to try to convey into my writing, although this may take a few blogs. Tonight, as I work on getting my son to go to bed - and Stay ...

When life is changing

You know that thing when life changes? At first you are excited, everything is going great. You are on top of the world and although life isn't perfect, you know it can't get much better? Then you start realizing the nitty-gritties, the things that are starting to stir at your bellybutton. The small parts to the change that suddenly start feeling so huge. You start to panic. Your stomach starts to not agree with you and you regret this, and that, and this again. And then you calm yourself, take a deep breath, look at the positives around you, and tell yourself "this too shall pass". Until that wave of anxiety passes over you again and you continue the cycle of happy, nervous, anxious, happy, nervous, anxious - over and over again. This is where I'm at right now. Everything seems almost too overwhelming. So many changes, both older changes and new changes, that just aren't settling well. I'm trying so hard to stay positive and ride along with ...