Skip to main content

Officially official!

It has been just over two years since we saw this little boy's face and he became part of our heart. We have known he is our son, one of our own, a part of our family for a very long time, but now we also have a piece of paper to prove it. Today he is officially a SCHACK. 



Today was an exciting day that had implications that even our oldest understood. He insisted on wearing his best clothes and I had no argument over showers this morning and wearing the "uncomfortable" black shoes. The boys' energy was undeniable - I know this because they were literally bouncing off the walls - no seriously, more than once one of them climbed up or jumped off a wall. They were excited to meet the judge, have their family and friends surrounding them, and most importantly they were both very excited that Tope would finally have Schack in his name. 


The judge was the sweetest lady. She had a confident and soothing voice and was full of smiles for this occasion. She even kept her calm as Tope decided he should try to talk over and over again into the microphone sitting in front of him (the recorder wasn't so happy, ha! maybe because it is hard to write in short hand a young boy that is mumbling, blowing into a mic, and saying Mama over and over).

We sat through the court hearing that took all of 5 minutes, and I cried just about the whole time. Years of emotions flooded through my memory bank and all I could think of was how much I love this little boy and how blessed I am that I have the chance to be his Mother. I realized a weight felt like it was lifted off of my shoulders today, a weight that I probably knew was there but have dealt with it for such a long time I've just become accustomed to it. Very happy to be rid of it today.


We were surrounded by our family and friends. Tope was tickled that they were all there for Him.  :)
Tope's kindergarten teacher (also Caleb's teacher last year). We love her!
Jill, Maude & Olive help babysit the boys. Olive got us through the summer while I taught voice lessons. The boys adore her! So glad they could be with us. 

Lorrin is our social worker at Catholic Charities. It has been really great working with her, she really cares about our family.

Grandpa and Grandma were all smiles today. So great having them there!

Oma gave lots of hugs from her and Opa. We missed him today as he had to be at work, but we understand and will return the hugs soon!


Before the courthouse visit, we made our celebration muffins and enjoyed quiet time as a family this morning as a family of four. Following the courthouse, we went and ate a meal with the Grandparents at Applebees. Here I gave Tope his first quilt made by me, his Mom - such a special occasion to give it to him. I made it out of superhero material, one of his favorite things. Can't wait to see him all cuddled in with his new blanket. (The picture is of his new pillowcase that matches!)

Thank you for ALL of the support you have all given us on this journey. We cannot express enough how blessed we have been by all of YOU. Our journey is far from over. We do not feel our family is completed, so I expect there is some more "waiting" in store, but as of now this wait, although long, was one of the best things to have ever happened to us, and we couldn't have gotten through it all without your love, thoughts, and prayers. We lift our hearts and thanks to God as well for leading us on this journey.

Adoption rocks! It's not perfect, but what is? We are so in love. This is good good stuff.

Yey!

In Christ~
Mara



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence is easiest

Life. Holy Toledo. Life has been, well, not sure if crazy really covers it at this point, but I'll go with that - Life has been crazy. I've been silent for awhile. There are the obvious reasons for the silence - A. I rarely have time to sit B. I'm exhausted C. Not a lot of time spent on me lately D. There are things I legally cannot write about to keep our kiddos safe But there are other reasons I've been silent. Silence is easy -  with silence, you don't have to answer the questions that haunt you. I think this silence comes from not knowing exactly what to say. The silence comes from this feeling of such overwhelming desire to have answers and knowledge of the unknown, that speaking outwardly of that unknown is - well - it's scary. About a month into our journey of welcoming four more children into our home, I read this article The Silence of Adoption    and I understood everything this woman was saying. Her words struck a chord. It was exactly eve...

Love & attachment

As I hug and kiss my son goodnight (for at least the third time, 2 hours past his bedtime!) I can't help but think about my other children. How I long to hold them in my arms, kiss them goodnight, show them how much they are loved, let them know that I will always be their mother. Yesterday Jon and I attended our first education meeting. This was put on by our local agency conducting our homestudy. The focus of this meeting was to talk about what to expect once our children are home. We learned a lot about "triggers" for our children - when life could be more difficult, we also learned more about attachment issues, and we learned/discussed what it will be like for our children to live in a "white privileged" family & neighborhood. Since this education, my mind has been swarming with many different thoughts. Many I'd like to try to convey into my writing, although this may take a few blogs. Tonight, as I work on getting my son to go to bed - and Stay ...

When life is changing

You know that thing when life changes? At first you are excited, everything is going great. You are on top of the world and although life isn't perfect, you know it can't get much better? Then you start realizing the nitty-gritties, the things that are starting to stir at your bellybutton. The small parts to the change that suddenly start feeling so huge. You start to panic. Your stomach starts to not agree with you and you regret this, and that, and this again. And then you calm yourself, take a deep breath, look at the positives around you, and tell yourself "this too shall pass". Until that wave of anxiety passes over you again and you continue the cycle of happy, nervous, anxious, happy, nervous, anxious - over and over again. This is where I'm at right now. Everything seems almost too overwhelming. So many changes, both older changes and new changes, that just aren't settling well. I'm trying so hard to stay positive and ride along with ...