Skip to main content

Officially official!

It has been just over two years since we saw this little boy's face and he became part of our heart. We have known he is our son, one of our own, a part of our family for a very long time, but now we also have a piece of paper to prove it. Today he is officially a SCHACK. 



Today was an exciting day that had implications that even our oldest understood. He insisted on wearing his best clothes and I had no argument over showers this morning and wearing the "uncomfortable" black shoes. The boys' energy was undeniable - I know this because they were literally bouncing off the walls - no seriously, more than once one of them climbed up or jumped off a wall. They were excited to meet the judge, have their family and friends surrounding them, and most importantly they were both very excited that Tope would finally have Schack in his name. 


The judge was the sweetest lady. She had a confident and soothing voice and was full of smiles for this occasion. She even kept her calm as Tope decided he should try to talk over and over again into the microphone sitting in front of him (the recorder wasn't so happy, ha! maybe because it is hard to write in short hand a young boy that is mumbling, blowing into a mic, and saying Mama over and over).

We sat through the court hearing that took all of 5 minutes, and I cried just about the whole time. Years of emotions flooded through my memory bank and all I could think of was how much I love this little boy and how blessed I am that I have the chance to be his Mother. I realized a weight felt like it was lifted off of my shoulders today, a weight that I probably knew was there but have dealt with it for such a long time I've just become accustomed to it. Very happy to be rid of it today.


We were surrounded by our family and friends. Tope was tickled that they were all there for Him.  :)
Tope's kindergarten teacher (also Caleb's teacher last year). We love her!
Jill, Maude & Olive help babysit the boys. Olive got us through the summer while I taught voice lessons. The boys adore her! So glad they could be with us. 

Lorrin is our social worker at Catholic Charities. It has been really great working with her, she really cares about our family.

Grandpa and Grandma were all smiles today. So great having them there!

Oma gave lots of hugs from her and Opa. We missed him today as he had to be at work, but we understand and will return the hugs soon!


Before the courthouse visit, we made our celebration muffins and enjoyed quiet time as a family this morning as a family of four. Following the courthouse, we went and ate a meal with the Grandparents at Applebees. Here I gave Tope his first quilt made by me, his Mom - such a special occasion to give it to him. I made it out of superhero material, one of his favorite things. Can't wait to see him all cuddled in with his new blanket. (The picture is of his new pillowcase that matches!)

Thank you for ALL of the support you have all given us on this journey. We cannot express enough how blessed we have been by all of YOU. Our journey is far from over. We do not feel our family is completed, so I expect there is some more "waiting" in store, but as of now this wait, although long, was one of the best things to have ever happened to us, and we couldn't have gotten through it all without your love, thoughts, and prayers. We lift our hearts and thanks to God as well for leading us on this journey.

Adoption rocks! It's not perfect, but what is? We are so in love. This is good good stuff.

Yey!

In Christ~
Mara



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Months as Foster Parents

So the title may have had wittier moments in my head, but in all reality, it is full and honest truth. Six months as Foster Parents. I would like to know where the last half of a year went...

This summer was quite the season.  Although it is supposed to be a season of warmth, relaxation, and vacations, we were in a Winter. A really long, brutal, stormy winter, where you hunker down in your house and wonder when the storm will pass. On the sunny days of this winter, we basked in the light and enjoyed the 30 degree temps. On the cloudy, sub-below temp kind of days - well, we made it through to the next day.

To say I have learned more in the last six months than just about any other six months in my life, would be a completely accurate statement. The learning curve my husband and I have been on has been huge. There are days we scored a perfect 10. And there have been many more days where we have scored a 2, if being gracious in the scoring.

Trauma is - well I have words for it, but since…

What's the buzz?

With Easter just passed, I was realizing that I never listened to Jesus Christ Superstar - one of my favorite past times during Lent, as the music has always led me to think about Christ and how he related with his family and friends in those last moments before his death. Plus, I'm a sucker for any music from a musical. Imagine that!? So - What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'....

This year I missed the Superstar boat though with little downtime at home; however, I did find myself listening to Godspell one day as I organized my bedroom and was reminded of one of my favorite songs and its' lyrics....
All good gifts around us Are sent from heaven above So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord For all His love I really want to thank you Lord!

All good gifts - my life is filled with so many. God is blessing us richly with a life that is full of truth, love, and spirit. Along with these blessings comes a multitude of new knowledge, some easy to grasp and hold onto, and some…

To the man who raised our son - In Memory of Pastor Dan

If all of us can only understand what compassion and grace truly mean,  this world might be a better place.  ~Pastor Dan Montenegro
There is a person I have dreamed of seeing again. I imagine our Tope, ten years older, as a young man, going back to where he was raised the first five years of his life. The walls of his orphanage would take shape and memories would form for Tope, memories that he would both share and keep to himself. We would share our memories too. Memories of when the gate opened and we first saw his face. Memories of the children that surrounded us, watching as he met his Mom & Dad for the first time. Memories of the caretakers that had spent so much time and love on our little boy. And then we would not just see the building, the new children living here, the memories of past and present, but we would see Pastor Dan standing there, standing proud and grinning as he would hold out his arms to embrace our son. 
This man.  He is kind, gentle, humble. He is a servant …