Skip to main content

We made it!

We are in Manila! It is currently almost midnight here, and is mid-morning in Wisconsin.

We are all very drowsy. Actually, let me take that back, Caleb is not as he slept the last 4 hour leg from Tokyo to Manila so he swears he is now wide awake. He didn't actually go to sleep until about 3 am our time - yikes! Hoping he can get some more sleep now.

Couple fun facts from our journey so far...

*Caleb has been drawing pictures in a notebook of all the different locations we have been. I wish I had time to take pictures of everything he has drawn and upload them now as they are very fun drawings of the airport, airplane, and Manila. Maybe tomorrow :)

*For my music students - the "ding, ding, ding, ding" on the airplane are actually SO - MI pitches!! I found myself echoing the pattern without realizing what I was doing!

*The layover in Tokyo showed us some Very cool origami. Hadn't even thought about things like that for our layover.

*The time to arrive in Manila is late at night because the congestion isn't as bad and the traffic was "light". We made excellent time to our hotel! Sounds like all of our other car trips won't be as fast from now on.

*All of the people we have met so far have been very friendly. They especially like Caleb.  :)  Or as we learned, it would be pronounced CAH-lub here.

*Our hotel is FANCY! We told Caleb it is probably the nicest hotel we will ever take him to. Ha! It was a little out of our price range but in the location we wanted and was highly recommended by others. We had quite the giggles more than once trying to figure things out. First we went up and down the elevator because we didn't know we had to scan our hotel room key first before it would let us punch our floor (16th by the way!) Then we couldn't find any light switches. Jon realized we had to swipe our card to turn on the lights. Good work Jon! UNTIL... the lights went out! And the doorman was ringing our door so he could deliver our suitcases. We were laughing so hard! We couldn't see a thing and just kept hearing this doorbell. Apparently we not only scan the hotel key, but we have to keep it IN the reader in order for the lights to stay on. Good times!

We start our morning meeting our caseworker, driver, and new friends around 9am. I think we are going to explore Makati and visit a museum tomorrow, although that could change. Hopefully can get a couple pictures up tomorrow!

GOOD NIGHT! I mean morning! I mean... oh goodness, time to sleep!

In Christ-
Mara

Comments

  1. I was with Laurie Carlsen, and Tina Henningsen this morning - at 11 we realized that you would be landing in Manila or on your way to the hotel! Thank you for sharing your impressions and experiences - makes me relive all of my experiences there as well! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tater says he can't wait to meet him! He also wishes he knew that it would be such a long plane ride...He said he could've went with to play with Caleb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

6 Months as Foster Parents

So the title may have had wittier moments in my head, but in all reality, it is full and honest truth. Six months as Foster Parents. I would like to know where the last half of a year went...

This summer was quite the season.  Although it is supposed to be a season of warmth, relaxation, and vacations, we were in a Winter. A really long, brutal, stormy winter, where you hunker down in your house and wonder when the storm will pass. On the sunny days of this winter, we basked in the light and enjoyed the 30 degree temps. On the cloudy, sub-below temp kind of days - well, we made it through to the next day.

To say I have learned more in the last six months than just about any other six months in my life, would be a completely accurate statement. The learning curve my husband and I have been on has been huge. There are days we scored a perfect 10. And there have been many more days where we have scored a 2, if being gracious in the scoring.

Trauma is - well I have words for it, but since…

What's the buzz?

With Easter just passed, I was realizing that I never listened to Jesus Christ Superstar - one of my favorite past times during Lent, as the music has always led me to think about Christ and how he related with his family and friends in those last moments before his death. Plus, I'm a sucker for any music from a musical. Imagine that!? So - What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'....

This year I missed the Superstar boat though with little downtime at home; however, I did find myself listening to Godspell one day as I organized my bedroom and was reminded of one of my favorite songs and its' lyrics....
All good gifts around us Are sent from heaven above So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord For all His love I really want to thank you Lord!

All good gifts - my life is filled with so many. God is blessing us richly with a life that is full of truth, love, and spirit. Along with these blessings comes a multitude of new knowledge, some easy to grasp and hold onto, and some…

To the man who raised our son - In Memory of Pastor Dan

If all of us can only understand what compassion and grace truly mean,  this world might be a better place.  ~Pastor Dan Montenegro
There is a person I have dreamed of seeing again. I imagine our Tope, ten years older, as a young man, going back to where he was raised the first five years of his life. The walls of his orphanage would take shape and memories would form for Tope, memories that he would both share and keep to himself. We would share our memories too. Memories of when the gate opened and we first saw his face. Memories of the children that surrounded us, watching as he met his Mom & Dad for the first time. Memories of the caretakers that had spent so much time and love on our little boy. And then we would not just see the building, the new children living here, the memories of past and present, but we would see Pastor Dan standing there, standing proud and grinning as he would hold out his arms to embrace our son. 
This man.  He is kind, gentle, humble. He is a servant …