Skip to main content

Two children in school!?!


We dreamed of this day all last year. We thought for sure both boys would be in school last year, but with the timing of Tope coming home, that never came to fruition. And now the day is here, we have two children in school. TWO. It is slowly sinking in. Two children to get ready in the morning, two that need lunch money, two with parent meet & greets, two needing new tennis shoes, two coming home with fundraiser sheets, two GREAT BIG SMILES running out the door today ready for their first day of school. 

It was a bittersweet day for me. I really enjoyed my time home this summer with these two. We stayed busy with a lot of different activities, time in the sun and at parks, traveling to see family, and just sharing time together. But I am ready for routine again, ready to see my kiddos at work as well, and start having fun in music class. I was also ready for the boys to be around new friends and continue to learn in the classroom. Along with all of this excitement though has come a lot of apprehension. We just have no idea how Tope will handle being in school. I have my ideas of what type of student he will be and his learning style, but when children are surrounded by more than just their own family, sometimes they can surprise you. 

As the music teacher at the boys' school I had the priveledge to have a little insight to how the day went. It started with Caleb running off to the playground leaving Tope behind, at which point Tope grasped my arm hard and was refusing to go. And here is where this Mama started to loose it. All of the anxieties I've been having about starting school had built up to this moment and I was so incredibly ready to ugly cry, right there and then in front of ten school busses full of kids and many teachers! Instead, I shed a couple tears, pulled it together, and we walked to the playground. Eventually Tope spotted Caleb and went running to play and then hardly looked back. He was excited to run to his teacher to start the day and was quickly the one in charge of her clipboard and followed her around. He is feeling comfortable with his teacher, which I was so grateful to see. We had spent a couple different days in her classroom and talking with her, which I'm sure helped today. Sounds like Tope barely left her side, often holding her hand or carrying things for her. He even wanted to just hold onto her shoe/foot during circle time. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts and if he needs this type of support from her for a long time, or if it was just his anxiety of the day playing out. She said he did good overall though and really enjoyed the couple projects they did, proving to be very detail oriented! Good to hear! Caleb also had a good day, although he said it was kind of boring - ha! What did he expect for the first day!?!?! It is crazy to realize how much he has grown in just a year. Excited to see where his first grade year takes him.

The boys are now both sound asleep in bed. Both were tired this afternoon, in a good way... I might not say it is such a good thing later this week when the long days really wear on them... yikes! But for now, I'll take the peaceful sleep that came to them quickly and relish in the fact that I have two beautiful growing boys asleep in their beds, resting their bodies for their second day of school. Today I feel humbled by the gifts God has given me, through my family, friends, and work. So many reminders today that God provides and is in control, even when we can't see what is ahead. Today wasn't perfect, but it sure was good.
In Christ~
Mara

ps~Tope has been home 7 months now! God is Good!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four years.

Four years. Four years ago today, our second blessing jumped into our arms for the first time. Four years ago today, these two became brothers and best friends. Four years ago today, all our worlds changed. And yet, how can it have only been four years? Feels like he has been our son from day one. The Lord blessed us ten-fold the day we met you, my son, our Tope. My world is better with you in it.

A feminine touch

How often do you think God looks down upon us and laughs at the things we think and say? I have to think, if I were God, I would be having a good chuckle at least every other hour just listening to my thoughts alone! Here was His chuckle... Mara: "I think we are destined for all boys in this house. The craziness of these boys! oy! This is my life." God: "Lol! Haven't you heard that Everyone agrees that girls are much harder than boys!?!" Mara: "For certain the only "cute" clothes I will buy will include a collar and buttons." God: "Hehehe! You do realize that girls don't just need a pair of tennis shoes for the winter and sandals for the summer, right!? They need dress shoes, sandals, tennis shoes, cute boots, real boots, shiny shoes, easter shoes, christmas shoes...." Mara: "It would be fun to have another female in this house. These boys could use more feminine presence. They are much less crazy. " God:

Davao Day 3 - Our Forever Family!!!

We would like to announce our newest son to the world! Christopher Andrew  Christopher, aka Tope (Toe-pay), is a delight to behold. We are incredibly blessed to have him in our lives. If his smile doesn't melt your heart, then his big dark brown eyes will.  He is a five year old that has a Great sense of humor and is already quickly melding into the family. His laugh takes my breath away. His hugs are like a warm blanket. And we are so thankful to call him our son. We hadn't even made it into the opening of the gate before Tope ran over to meet us. He quickly jumped into Jon's lap and there he stayed, looking almost shocked and yet content to be with his Daddy. He almost looked like he was going to cry. He clung to Jon for a very long time. What a blessing! One of the caretakers had him put on his shoes, of which he tied himself! He is already such a big boy!  We made our way to the office to sign papers and receive papers. Tope talked