Skip to main content

Early Morning DAYdreams

Sleep, my friends, is Not overrated. It is in fact, Much needed. And I, am lacking in this area.

The last few nights I have gone to bed later than I should, trying to get life in order before leaving for a week of camp. I was so tired at night, I thought I'd fall right asleep, but due to a hot & muggy bedroom, sleep has been quite restless.

Last night though, I had high hopes! Caleb and I traveled to Grandpa & Grandma's house (Jon's parents) so that Caleb can stay here while I am at camp, and then I only have an hour to drive to camp in the morning. The weather has cooled a little outside, I went to bed late, and was sooooo tired last night, I thought there was no way I wouldn't sleep until my buzzer went off... oh man was I wrong. I woke up just about every 10-15 minutes for about three hours. I was sleeping in a bunk bed with my son and niece and every time one of them moved, I woke up.

After those three hours, I was just plain awake, and this is where I started to DAYdream about my kids. In the car ride yesterday, Caleb randomly told me, "Mom, I think I now really want two kids and a baby". Meaning - he really wants two siblings that are old enough he can play with them, and a baby that he can call his "baby brother/sister", I'm sure he'd love to cuddle a baby too.  It's hard to respond to Caleb when he says these things. Part of me is excited to hear him talk like this, as I know he is thinking about it and wants siblings. The other part of me is frustrated because I have to figure out how to explain to him that it could still be a long time until these thoughts become reality. And yesterday, there was a part of me, in my sleep deprived state, that just was really sad, for I long to give him at least one sibling, say by the end of the summer... I started tearing up in the car when he said these words, knowing our wait will be long - and I'm sure even longer for him.

So for about an hour this morning, I thought about having these two kids & a baby and what life would be like with them. And then I started thinking about the language barriers we will encounter when they first arrive. It reminded me how I'd really like to start learning Amharic. I wish there was a class I could take, as I know I would learn much better that way. But there are some good videos on YouTube I just need to start watching regularly. Before I fell back asleep, I was trying to think how we could make it a family thing - such as learning two words a week and encouraging eachother to use those words all week. Does anyone have any good ideas for us on how to learn a language that is not readily heard in our area???

I got about another two hours of sleep, and only woke up about every half hour after that. I was making progress! Until, I realized, my phone was missing. I wanted to find it so the buzzer didn't wake the kids up. I searched and realized it had to be under the bed but out of my reach, so I crawled under and sure enough, there it was. And I - was officially awake an hour and half before I wanted to be. My body was screaming for more sleep, but my brain was not agreeing with my body! I started thinking about camp and the week to come - which I'm really excited about. I was going over guitar chords in my head and the different songs I will be playing. And then I got a song stuck in my head - a song, I've decided, not only should kids know, but PARENTS should know. It is written by one of Caleb's absolutely favorite artists, Laurie Berkner. This song may not come in handy to sing out loud if your child is riled up, but it sure helps to sing in your head when you think your household is spinning out of control!

I'm not perfect, no I'm not
I'm not perfect, but I've got what I got
I do my very best, I do my very best, I do my very best each day
But I'm not perfect and I hope you like me that way.

We're not perfect, no we're not
We're not perfect, but we've got what we've got
We do our very best, we do our very best, we do our very best each day
But we're not perfect, and we hope you like us that way.

YOU're not perfect, no you're not.
You're not perfect, but you've got what you've got.
You do your very best, you do you're very best, you do you're very best each day.
But you're not perfect,
And You Know - I LIKE YOU THAT WAY!


And that, my friends, is what led me to this blogpost! Earworms can lead you to do lots of things! Including forcing you out of bed to write about the earworm.... oy vey! LOL!

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL day, whether you are sleep deprived like me, or you had a glorious sleep last night. I am off to a week of camp, where I will get to tell kids going into 7th grade that they are unique, special individuals, who God made Perfect, and NO MATTER what they are always LOVED.  Who needs sleep when I get to do something so powerful and exciting as that!?!  So here is to a week of even less sleep... probably followed by a less than perfect, very sleepy mother, next week. :)    And hopefully an update on our adoption paperwork!!!!

Until then - God's blessings! I will blog to you in a week!  :)

Mara
Caleb & I on the Ferris wheel at the county fair -
a little bonding time before I left for a week of camp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four years.

Four years. Four years ago today, our second blessing jumped into our arms for the first time. Four years ago today, these two became brothers and best friends. Four years ago today, all our worlds changed. And yet, how can it have only been four years? Feels like he has been our son from day one. The Lord blessed us ten-fold the day we met you, my son, our Tope. My world is better with you in it.

Philippines Travel - Random Tips

When I say random tips, I truly mean random tips! I kept a list of random things we learned while traveling in the Philippines. If you are planning on traveling there at any time, some of these could be very useful, some will just be some fun knowledge to have. Many of these tips you will not learn from your adoption agency or travel agency! Here it goes! BEFORE YOU GO: Pictures of documents:  If you are taking your smart phone or a tablet with you, then take pictures of emails, addresses, and phone numbers you may need. More than once I didn't have that one piece of paper  that I needed with that random phone number, BUT I had taken photos of many of my emails with people's names and numbers and hotel addresses which saved us many headaches! If you have a smart phone, hold down the power key and the toggle key at the same time, and voila!, you take a picture of the screen you are looking at. Gifts : Many people bring gifts for their hosts/drivers, orphanages caretaker

A feminine touch

How often do you think God looks down upon us and laughs at the things we think and say? I have to think, if I were God, I would be having a good chuckle at least every other hour just listening to my thoughts alone! Here was His chuckle... Mara: "I think we are destined for all boys in this house. The craziness of these boys! oy! This is my life." God: "Lol! Haven't you heard that Everyone agrees that girls are much harder than boys!?!" Mara: "For certain the only "cute" clothes I will buy will include a collar and buttons." God: "Hehehe! You do realize that girls don't just need a pair of tennis shoes for the winter and sandals for the summer, right!? They need dress shoes, sandals, tennis shoes, cute boots, real boots, shiny shoes, easter shoes, christmas shoes...." Mara: "It would be fun to have another female in this house. These boys could use more feminine presence. They are much less crazy. " God: