Skip to main content

The "end" of chapter one is near!


 
Holy Toledo I am excited tonight!!!!
 
We finally finished all of our education requirements and packed up the workbook to be sent off to our agency tomorrow. This is a HUGE weight off of our shoulders.
Don't get me wrong. I really do like to learn! But when on a timeline and expected to write and take small tests - yikes. None of it was really hard, it just all took a lot of time. Now I'm excited to start reading the suggested materials and books listed throughout our education manuals and classes. I do believe it will be a lot more fun reading on my own timeline.
 
It is interesting to think: if I had had to do this before Caleb was born, I just may have been a little more ready for his arrival. Doing the hours of study that we did, sure would make a few people think twice before having a biological child, let alone adopting. The education has opened our eyes even more to how our family may look like, how it may function, and how we might have to take multiple steps back to remember there is NO NORMAL with adoption or having a family.
 
But who wants normal anyway? Normal is just a cycle on the washing machine! 
 
This also marks one of the very last things that had to be finished in order for our home study to be complete. Our social worker says her report is almost done, just tying up a couple loose ends.
Yey! yey! yey! yey! yey!
 
Now to start our lengthy pile of to-do's in order to get our dossier paperwork done (the paperwork that goes directly to Ethiopia).  We have until the 1st of July to wrap everything up.
The "end" to this chapter is starting to be in sight...
 
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming"...
 
Oh, and it snowed today. On May 2nd. Oy!
But, because of it, we all had a snow day! We played in the snow, watched movies, made pizza, got projects worked on (and done!!!), and just enjoyed being a family.
Even though the 16 inches of snow outside the backdoor is annoying...
 
Life is good.
We are so, very, very blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Months as Foster Parents

So the title may have had wittier moments in my head, but in all reality, it is full and honest truth. Six months as Foster Parents. I would like to know where the last half of a year went...

This summer was quite the season.  Although it is supposed to be a season of warmth, relaxation, and vacations, we were in a Winter. A really long, brutal, stormy winter, where you hunker down in your house and wonder when the storm will pass. On the sunny days of this winter, we basked in the light and enjoyed the 30 degree temps. On the cloudy, sub-below temp kind of days - well, we made it through to the next day.

To say I have learned more in the last six months than just about any other six months in my life, would be a completely accurate statement. The learning curve my husband and I have been on has been huge. There are days we scored a perfect 10. And there have been many more days where we have scored a 2, if being gracious in the scoring.

Trauma is - well I have words for it, but since…

What's the buzz?

With Easter just passed, I was realizing that I never listened to Jesus Christ Superstar - one of my favorite past times during Lent, as the music has always led me to think about Christ and how he related with his family and friends in those last moments before his death. Plus, I'm a sucker for any music from a musical. Imagine that!? So - What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'....

This year I missed the Superstar boat though with little downtime at home; however, I did find myself listening to Godspell one day as I organized my bedroom and was reminded of one of my favorite songs and its' lyrics....
All good gifts around us Are sent from heaven above So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord For all His love I really want to thank you Lord!

All good gifts - my life is filled with so many. God is blessing us richly with a life that is full of truth, love, and spirit. Along with these blessings comes a multitude of new knowledge, some easy to grasp and hold onto, and some…

To the man who raised our son - In Memory of Pastor Dan

If all of us can only understand what compassion and grace truly mean,  this world might be a better place.  ~Pastor Dan Montenegro
There is a person I have dreamed of seeing again. I imagine our Tope, ten years older, as a young man, going back to where he was raised the first five years of his life. The walls of his orphanage would take shape and memories would form for Tope, memories that he would both share and keep to himself. We would share our memories too. Memories of when the gate opened and we first saw his face. Memories of the children that surrounded us, watching as he met his Mom & Dad for the first time. Memories of the caretakers that had spent so much time and love on our little boy. And then we would not just see the building, the new children living here, the memories of past and present, but we would see Pastor Dan standing there, standing proud and grinning as he would hold out his arms to embrace our son. 
This man.  He is kind, gentle, humble. He is a servant …