Skip to main content

To be 30

Last night I had a dream that I was pregnant. It was very real. I was going into labor and it was on my birthday, which was an exciting prospect. Granted, I know the dream came because I watched "Grey's Anatomy" last night and someone gave birth, and I was going into labor on my birthday because in reality, tomorrow is my birthday.

This year I hit one of the milestone birthdays - 30. Yes, I know I'm still "young". I  really don't feel like this is making me much older, but it is hitting me harder than I thought it would. A few months ago I laughed about the fact that I was almost 30, but today, as I sit and mull it over - I'm not too excited about the fact that I'm 30.

Why not? Well, I thought life would have been a little different I think. Not a ton different. At 30 I hoped to be married, living in a house, have a career, have a family, and I am very blessed to have all of these things. But the things that didn't happen before I was 30, well, they kind of bug me.

In the perfect world, I would have...

  1. finished a Master's program so that I wouldn't have to worry about it as a mom
  2. made a queen sized quilt for my bed
  3. run a 5K
  4. been back to the weight I was in college
  5. rid myself of acne!
  6. learn the art of keeping a house clean -
  7. started another Celebrate Me Week in another state
  8. bought myself a NEW, big, dining room table
  9. and of course - I would have had more kids.


That is not how the last few years have panned out. But....
  1. Had I done my Masters it would have related to High school music studies, I'm excited to now look for a program that will relate more to how I teach my Elementary students
  2. The fact that I even learned how to quilt has been an amazing feat!! I'm loving my new hobby!! Other than it isn't the cheapest hobby....  :)    It relieves my stress and makes me happy, especially when I can make a quilt for someone else. I'll make Jon & Myself a quilt someday - it will happen
  3. I'm running my first 5K in less than a month! And to make it even more fun, it is a Color Run put on my our Boys & Girls club in town - it will be lots of fun!
  4. I don't really need to be back down to where I was when I started college - ha! I would have to eat nothing but vegetables and I'm not willing to diet like that!!! But I would like to be in better shape and eat healthier, and I think if those are my goals, I could actually get close to this weight again. I'm working on it.
  5. I will always struggle with this, and I don't believe there is a cure. But SERIOUSLY!!! Somedays I feel like I'm in High school again. It is soooooooo annoying to deal with this as adult!
  6. Well, I want to learn how to at least keep it always presentable enough to invite people in if they stop by!  This is not easy to do! And I only have one kid in the house!!!! It will be interesting when we add more!
  7. Celebrate Me is a camp near & dear to my heart. It is a camp for students going into 7th grade. During the week our goal is to make sure every child knows that they are LOVED and that God made them special for a purpose. If you'd like to learn more, visit their site http://www.celebrate-me.com/
  8. I'd say 95% of our furniture is either a hand-me-down or was bought at a garage sale. I would LOVE to buy NEW furniture someday. And I want to start with our dining room table. Granted, our table was from my Grandma and it is the sturdiest, most durable table! But it just isn't my family's table. This is one of my biggest dreams. Seems like such a silly thing I know, but I look forward to the day Jon and I buy OUR dining room table.
  9. Kids. The biggest reason why I'm sad to turn 30. I know, I know. There are tons of people that don't have children in their 20's. Times have changed and it is not rare for people to start having kids in their 30's or even later. But, it wasn't what I had "visioned" for my life. It's quite the opposite really. If you had told me ten years ago that I would only have one child, I would have laughed, I really would have, and would have not believed you one bit.


All in all, I have an amazing life. I have been blessed beyond measure and I am so thankful for the (almost) 9 years of marriage I have had to Jon, the 4.5 years of smiles I've had with Caleb, and the 30 years I've had with my amazing Parents and Grandparents. So life isn't always peachykeen - I don't believe the bible ever said it would be...  :)

Everyone has visions for their life. Some things come to be, some things do not, some things cannot.
But if we are living in the present, and are able to see the blessings in our lives. Well, then the good & bad things are all worth it. So maybe I take back what I said earlier. I guess I am OK turning 30, it really isn't that bad.

Thank you Lord for a Wonderful 30 years!  You have blessed me with a wonderful life, and I am so grateful.

 I am so very excited to see what the next decade brings! Maybe I'll even be able to say I've accomplished all of my list by 40... although, I have a feeling the cleaning one is a long shot....   :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four years.

Four years. Four years ago today, our second blessing jumped into our arms for the first time. Four years ago today, these two became brothers and best friends. Four years ago today, all our worlds changed. And yet, how can it have only been four years? Feels like he has been our son from day one. The Lord blessed us ten-fold the day we met you, my son, our Tope. My world is better with you in it.

Philippines Travel - Random Tips

When I say random tips, I truly mean random tips! I kept a list of random things we learned while traveling in the Philippines. If you are planning on traveling there at any time, some of these could be very useful, some will just be some fun knowledge to have. Many of these tips you will not learn from your adoption agency or travel agency! Here it goes! BEFORE YOU GO: Pictures of documents:  If you are taking your smart phone or a tablet with you, then take pictures of emails, addresses, and phone numbers you may need. More than once I didn't have that one piece of paper  that I needed with that random phone number, BUT I had taken photos of many of my emails with people's names and numbers and hotel addresses which saved us many headaches! If you have a smart phone, hold down the power key and the toggle key at the same time, and voila!, you take a picture of the screen you are looking at. Gifts : Many people bring gifts for their hosts/drivers, orphanages caretaker

A feminine touch

How often do you think God looks down upon us and laughs at the things we think and say? I have to think, if I were God, I would be having a good chuckle at least every other hour just listening to my thoughts alone! Here was His chuckle... Mara: "I think we are destined for all boys in this house. The craziness of these boys! oy! This is my life." God: "Lol! Haven't you heard that Everyone agrees that girls are much harder than boys!?!" Mara: "For certain the only "cute" clothes I will buy will include a collar and buttons." God: "Hehehe! You do realize that girls don't just need a pair of tennis shoes for the winter and sandals for the summer, right!? They need dress shoes, sandals, tennis shoes, cute boots, real boots, shiny shoes, easter shoes, christmas shoes...." Mara: "It would be fun to have another female in this house. These boys could use more feminine presence. They are much less crazy. " God: