Skip to main content

yikes

What to do, what to do?
Well, there's not much we can do.

We received an email yesterday stating that timelines for Ethiopia adoption have become MUCH longer than they usually had been. To the tune of 3.5 years until a referral... yikes.
In the last few years Ethiopia had been allowing many adoptions within a short timeframe, which has now led to some corruption. Due to these events, Ethiopia has taken steps to try and cut out the corruption. While I am very thankful that we are trying to end the corruption, it is a bummer for the timeline of adoption.

My stomach has been sick all day thinking about our children. There are so many kids that Truthfully and Honestly need homes, but because of sick people in this world who worship money over the value of a childhood, our children are stuck in an orphanage somewhere in Ethiopia.

And, I worry about Caleb. He so badly wants his brother and/or sister here. Right now. Tomorrow if possible. How is he going to wait three more years?

Granted, we do not have really narrow guidelines as to what children we will take. We are open to sibling groups, to a slightly older age, and are willing to take some special needs. Due to these facts, our timeline may not be as long, but there is no guarantee.

Our agency said that this is nothing new. For instance, in 2007, China had record adoption numbers that were followed with a lot of corruption. A similar situation then occurred and steps were taken to minimize/delete the corruption, and now China has a very reputable and streamlined adoption system.

I am praying for Ethiopia and its children. I am praying for the 100's of adoptive parents waiting for their children to come home. And I'm really praying for all of the children sitting in an orphanage for months upon months, just because of evil in this world.

So what next? Well, we wait, along with all of the other adoptive parents waiting for their children from Ethiopia. We are also looking into options through our agency to possibly do simultaneous adoption programs - meaning we would be signed up for two different country's programs, and would adopt possibly from each, although we would not be able to adopt from both within 12 months of eachother. Another option would be to possibly switch all together to a different program. Seeing as we will be one of the lower ones on the "waiting list" since we are just currently about to get in our paperwork, this would be the time to make a switch if we feel it is necessary. Our agency is capping their Ethiopia program and will not accept anymore into the adoption program as of June 1st until things settle a little more - Good for them - I think that is a wise move. I'm also happy to know that the director of our agency is the co-chair of one of the leading groups working on fighting the corruption in Ethiopia. Because of this, I feel like I am in safe hands at our agency, no matter what decision we choose.

I really don't want the corruption to happen in Ethiopia, I really don't. BUT, how I long to hold my kids. This really stinks - I don't know of any other way to put it.

If you have some extra time today, would you mind praying for the orphaned children of Ethiopia? They could really use our prayers right now.

In Christ,
Mara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four years.

Four years. Four years ago today, our second blessing jumped into our arms for the first time. Four years ago today, these two became brothers and best friends. Four years ago today, all our worlds changed. And yet, how can it have only been four years? Feels like he has been our son from day one. The Lord blessed us ten-fold the day we met you, my son, our Tope. My world is better with you in it.

Philippines Travel - Random Tips

When I say random tips, I truly mean random tips! I kept a list of random things we learned while traveling in the Philippines. If you are planning on traveling there at any time, some of these could be very useful, some will just be some fun knowledge to have. Many of these tips you will not learn from your adoption agency or travel agency! Here it goes! BEFORE YOU GO: Pictures of documents:  If you are taking your smart phone or a tablet with you, then take pictures of emails, addresses, and phone numbers you may need. More than once I didn't have that one piece of paper  that I needed with that random phone number, BUT I had taken photos of many of my emails with people's names and numbers and hotel addresses which saved us many headaches! If you have a smart phone, hold down the power key and the toggle key at the same time, and voila!, you take a picture of the screen you are looking at. Gifts : Many people bring gifts for their hosts/drivers, orphanages caretaker

A feminine touch

How often do you think God looks down upon us and laughs at the things we think and say? I have to think, if I were God, I would be having a good chuckle at least every other hour just listening to my thoughts alone! Here was His chuckle... Mara: "I think we are destined for all boys in this house. The craziness of these boys! oy! This is my life." God: "Lol! Haven't you heard that Everyone agrees that girls are much harder than boys!?!" Mara: "For certain the only "cute" clothes I will buy will include a collar and buttons." God: "Hehehe! You do realize that girls don't just need a pair of tennis shoes for the winter and sandals for the summer, right!? They need dress shoes, sandals, tennis shoes, cute boots, real boots, shiny shoes, easter shoes, christmas shoes...." Mara: "It would be fun to have another female in this house. These boys could use more feminine presence. They are much less crazy. " God: