Skip to main content

Mara versus Mom

The last couple months my husband and son were very generous and let me go to be Mara, instead of Mom. My husband likes to say that I like to be a "Thespian" when I can, and yes, I do enjoy becoming a different person, playing dress up, and entertaining people. But the fun antics of other "thespians" are what I really enjoy! A lot of our craziness is something that only theater people can understand, trust me-we are a bunch of odd ducks - but I love that about theater. It's a place to let your inhibitions loose. A place that I don't feel judged. A place I can let my hair down and worry very little about everything else-well, other than remembering my blocking and lines!

The last couple weeks have been performance weekends for "The 39 Steps", and among it all we have been trying to figure out the adoption steps for the little boy in the Philippines. The theater is what has kept my nerves at bay. When I have time to think about all of the logistics, I get nervous. I so badly want to bring this little boy home, but I know we still have a lot of steps to go, and a lot of uncertainty right now as to if we even will be accepted as his forever family. So, instead of freaking out at home, I can use that energy to do scenes like this... where I have to be handcuffed to a man, while trying to climb through a gate..  :)
Or use this crazy energy to play a paranoid spy...
Either way, I can escape my thoughts of uncertainty, escape the dishes at home (thanks Jon for doing soooo many of them the last few weeks!), and escape sleep... oh wait, that is something I'm looking forward to gaining again soon! I swear, adoption won't be the "death" of me...
But it does way heavily on my mind. So I'm thankful for opportunities like this play or chances to sing with the community big band, or time with church. Sometimes it is a very good thing to stay busy. Although, I'm also looking forward to time home again and spending time with my boys. I'm also looking forward to a new dossier (hopefully! as long as the Philippines accepts us) process, which will be a lot of work, but would mean we would be bringing our little boy home soon! 

This play is also kind of bittersweet, as I realized, if we do bring our little boy home next summer, then this could be the last show I do for quite a while. I will want to be home bonding, versus spending long nights away. I will miss having my theater time, but will be much happier at home with TWO little boys.  :)   So, we will see, who knows what is in the future. For today though, I will enjoy the last performance and teardown, and enjoy the joking around that only "thespians" understand, and then I will come back home and be "Mom" full-time again. Not a bad thing at all.




 Thanks to all of those who were able to come see the show! Hope you enjoyed it. And a BIG thank you again to my husband and son who lived without me for a bit. I really do appreciate it. Love you both!

Have a good rest of your Sunday!
In Christ,
Mara/Mom






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four years.

Four years. Four years ago today, our second blessing jumped into our arms for the first time. Four years ago today, these two became brothers and best friends. Four years ago today, all our worlds changed. And yet, how can it have only been four years? Feels like he has been our son from day one. The Lord blessed us ten-fold the day we met you, my son, our Tope. My world is better with you in it.

Philippines Travel - Random Tips

When I say random tips, I truly mean random tips! I kept a list of random things we learned while traveling in the Philippines. If you are planning on traveling there at any time, some of these could be very useful, some will just be some fun knowledge to have. Many of these tips you will not learn from your adoption agency or travel agency! Here it goes! BEFORE YOU GO: Pictures of documents:  If you are taking your smart phone or a tablet with you, then take pictures of emails, addresses, and phone numbers you may need. More than once I didn't have that one piece of paper  that I needed with that random phone number, BUT I had taken photos of many of my emails with people's names and numbers and hotel addresses which saved us many headaches! If you have a smart phone, hold down the power key and the toggle key at the same time, and voila!, you take a picture of the screen you are looking at. Gifts : Many people bring gifts for their hosts/drivers, orphanages caretaker

A feminine touch

How often do you think God looks down upon us and laughs at the things we think and say? I have to think, if I were God, I would be having a good chuckle at least every other hour just listening to my thoughts alone! Here was His chuckle... Mara: "I think we are destined for all boys in this house. The craziness of these boys! oy! This is my life." God: "Lol! Haven't you heard that Everyone agrees that girls are much harder than boys!?!" Mara: "For certain the only "cute" clothes I will buy will include a collar and buttons." God: "Hehehe! You do realize that girls don't just need a pair of tennis shoes for the winter and sandals for the summer, right!? They need dress shoes, sandals, tennis shoes, cute boots, real boots, shiny shoes, easter shoes, christmas shoes...." Mara: "It would be fun to have another female in this house. These boys could use more feminine presence. They are much less crazy. " God: